Youtube’s “number one Marxist” video commentator publicly denounced prominent pro-North Korea figure Alejandro Cao de Benos on Sunday for excessive profiteering on trips to the DPRK and misrepresentation of his position.
The video, published by self-styled Marxist Jason Unruhe, is the first acknowledgement from the pro-North Korea community of a recent NK News investigation showing how the ostensibly socialist Cao De Benos profits tens of thousands of euros by facilitating access to the country and exaggerates his ties with Pyongyang.
“This kind of behavior absolutely unacceptable,” Unruhe said of claims that Korea Friendship Association (KFA) founder and President Cao De Benos was charging foreign film-makers 40,000 euros for access to North Korea that in reality cost as low as “5,000 euros”.
“The amount of money he’s been keeping is absolutely outrageous,” Unruhe said. “This has been a very capitalistic way of behaving. He’s been very greedy, and doing things to undermine the DPRK just to enrich himself.”
In addition to claims made in the original NK News investigation, Unruhe said Cao de Benos had been “blocking people in the (KFA) organization or destroying many of the new, young people that come in,” citing conversations with tour companies, KFA representatives and unspecified “diplomats”.
Unruhe said Cao de Benos’s excessive profiteering was incompatible with his position as a representative of the country and North Korea’s policies.
“You were supposed to be giving better access so people can see the truth. You were supposed to be giving information that defends the DPRK from imperialism. You were supposed to be giving better information to debunk a lot of the false statements made against the DPRK to justify imperialist aggression.
“I sincerely hope you find a way to criticize yourself or to change or come around, because your actions have placed dishonor not only on yourself, on the DPRK, and those of us who work to defend the DPRK.
One source familiar with Cao de Benos and the pro-DPRK community, who declined to comment publicly on the issue, told NK News that conversations with a former member of the KFA indicated Unruhe was “an ‘institution’ in the (pro-North Korea) community.”
“(There’s) nothing better than Alejandro getting it from his peers,” the source said of the video and recent investigation.
“I am having visions of some kind of Moscow trials in a mid-range provincial hotel conference room somewhere in Middle Europe. But I think Alejandro prefers death to self-criticism.”
A U.S. delegate of the KFA could not be reached for comment about Unruhe’s video denouncing Cao de Benos or the impact of the recent NK News investigation.
Cao de Benos declined to comment on the majority of allegations made in the January 15 dated investigation. Neither he or his organization have since publicly commented on the issue.
Main picture: Youtube
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 469 words of this article.