NK Pro Analysts
Korea Risk Group is looking to expand its team of analysts and is seeking North Korea experts who are interested in contributing to NK Pro remotely, on a freelance or retainer basis. NK Pro analysts are intellectually rigorous and academically or professionally experienced researchers of North Korean political, economic, military or technological developments. Successful candidates will also have strong writing skills and the ability to produce concise copy, often on short notice.
- Proven expertise in analyzing political, economic, military or technological developments in North Korea
- Intellectual rigor and ability to thoroughly assess timely issues in a reflected and transparent manner, resulting in concise and readable copy suitable for publication on nknews.org
- Ability to produce timely analyses on recent developments, often on short notice and sometimes within as little as 24 hours
- Willingness to face questions and stylistic edits by NK News editors to ensure consistency with existing content on NK Pro
- Willingness to take a position and risk being proven wrong by North Korea’s often unpredictable actions
- Master’s Degree of higher in a field relevant to assessing contemporary developments on the Korean peninsula
- Experience writing in-depth analysis for academic journals or media outlets
Interested? Please send an email with your CV and three analytic writing samples to [email protected]. Competitive compensation will be offered on a per-article basis, with the option of a fixed retainer contract (a monthly base pay) after an initial assessment period of three months.
East Coast Correspondent
NK News is seeking a hard-working, tenacious, and creative full-time reporter to cover U.S. policy on North Korea from Washington, D.C. or along the East Coast.
Remotely working with the Managing Editor in Seoul, the desired candidate will be expected to regularly write news and features, cover breaking news, attend North Korea events and conferences in both Washington and New York City, develop a network of sources, and work on in-depth investigations.
We are seeking a journalist with a proven track record in breaking stories, who can work independently and creatively to enhance our coverage of U.S. policy towards North Korea at a critical time.
- Strong and proven interest in North Korea affairs/U.S. policy in East Asia
- Ability to work for extended periods independently, but also strong socializing skills/networking abilities
- At least a year’s experience in journalism
- Good knowledge of social media
- Korean language abilities are an advantage
- Knowledge of NK News and NK Pro platforms, familiarity with our work
- Willingness to work some irregular hours on stories and developing source networks
How to apply? Send a resume and cover letter, explaining why you’re suited for the job, as well as three journalistic writing samples, to [email protected] (position open until filled).
Salary: A competitive salary will be offered suited to candidates’ experience level. Short-listed candidates will be asked to initially contribute on a freelance basis, with a retainer fee for carefully monitoring their beat on a daily basis.
Social Media Editor
NK News is seeking a Social Media Editor to join our fast-growing office on a full-time basis in Seoul, South Korea.
- Building NK News’s audience on social media;
- Leveraging social media to break stories and bring new readers to the website;
- Promoting NK News’s reporting and analysis to new audiences and potential subscribers;
- Writing news articles and editing stories produced by fellow journalists, as well as freelance contributors.
- At least one year experience working in journalism, preferably focused on the Korean peninsula;
- Knowledge and understanding of the North Korea field, ability to separate fact from fiction in a complex beat;
- Extensive experience in social media, evidenced by work for a media brand or in building a personal following;
- Top-notch writing and editing skills, ability to craft both snappy copy for social media.
- Native or native-level English speaking and writing skills
If interested, please send a CV, cover letter, and two journalistic writing samples to [email protected] (position open until filled).
Please note that NK News can facilitate a journalist visa for this role if the candidate has journalistic experience.