Data Correspondent (Seoul, Republic of Korea)
NK PRO is seeking a hard-working, tenacious, and creative reporter/analyst to work as Data Correspondent in South Korea. Working at our newsroom in Seoul, the desired candidate will be expected to identify and write news and analysis of developments from the North Korea-related sanctions, trade data, maritime and aviation sectors.
If you’re looking to make an impact with data-driven work on North Korea, writing for NK PRO is the way to go. In our 12th year of operation, NK News and NK PRO are the industry leaders in English language news, analysis and opinion on North Korea. We have one of the most influential reader bases in this field, with a significant client list that includes every foreign ministry of prominence with an interest in DPRK issues, military and intelligence of all key countries following the peninsula, leading universities focusing on Korean studies, the full UN system, key NGOs and humanitarian groups, as well as major news agencies and news outlets writing on the Koreas. We also count major banks, financial institutions and multinational companies among our subscribers.
For this role, we are seeking an individual with a proven track record of working on all or some of the beats required for the position: sanctions, trade data, maritime activities, and aviation.
The successful candidate will have strong expertise in data analysis, investigative research, trade issues, or sanctions reporting. The role requires a highly analytical and inquisitive mind, creative problem-solving skills, strong writing and statistics skills, and investigative vigor that enables the candidate to get to the bottom of complex trade networks or opaque corporate constructs.
We are looking for:
- Demonstrable interest in North Korea-related issues
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, computer science, statistics, economics, or a related field
- Experience in data journalism, investigative research, trade issues, or sanctions reporting
- Strong interest in business, economics, sanctions, counter-terrorism, and global trade
- Ability to articulate how insights gained from original research impact clients in the Asia Pacific region
- Strong English writing skills, and ability to produce accurate content on tight deadlines
- Ability to read Chinese or Russian is a plus
Interested? Send a resume and cover letter explaining why you’re suited for the job to [email protected] Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.
Salary: 4-6m KRW, depending on experience
Social Media Editor
NK News is seeking a Social Media Editor to join our office on a full-time basis in Seoul, South Korea.
- Building NK News’s audience on social media;
- Leveraging social media to break stories and bring new readers to the website;
- Promoting NK News’s reporting and analysis to new audiences and potential subscribers;
- Writing news articles and editing stories produced by fellow journalists, as well as freelance contributors.
- At least one year experience working in journalism, preferably focused on the Korean peninsula;
- Knowledge and understanding of the North Korea field, ability to separate fact from fiction in a complex beat;
- Extensive experience in social media, evidenced by work for a media brand or in building a personal following;
- Top-notch writing and editing skills, ability to craft both snappy copy for social media;
- Native or native-level English speaking and writing skills, Korean skills are a major plus.
If interested, please send a CV, cover letter, and two journalistic writing samples to [email protected] (position open until filled). This role is compensated at 3-4M KRW per month, depending on experience.
Please note that NK News is not in a position to sponsor visas for this role. We cannot consider applicants who are not either a South Korean citizen or in possession of a long-term stay visa in South Korea.
News Trainee: North and South Korea Focus (6-12 months)
We are looking for an ambitious, reliable and detail-oriented News Trainee to join our operations in Seoul for an extended six to twelve-month period. The selected candidate will be someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is ambitious and who is excited to work with a newsroom entirely focused on the Korean Peninsula.
The News Trainee will assist our editors and reporters in social media output across all platforms, newsletter preparation, as well as the preparation of stories for the content management system (CMS).
In addition, the News Trainee will be asked to assist reporters with research tasks for news and investigations, translations from and to Korean, and any other needs that arise during the reporting process. Opportunities for news-writing and bylines will be available for ambitious and capable candidates in this role.
- Creative and impactful social media abilities, including graphics and video experience
- Proven interest in the political, economic, military and foreign policy situation in both North and South Korea
- Fluent speaking and writing in English and Korean
- Availability to join our newsroom in Seoul full-time for 6-12 months
- Prior internships or work experience in the media industry are a major plus
- Confidence and professional demeanor on the phone and in person
- Ability to stay focused under pressure
Interested? Please send your CV, a cover letter in English, and two writing samples to [email protected] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. This traineeship is compensated at 1.66m KRW/month. Please note that we are unable to offer a South Korean visa for this opportunity.