NORTH KOREA ANALYST (Seoul based, full-time)
NK Pro – the sister publication of NK News – is seeking a full-time analyst to join our busy staff.
Preferably working from our office in Seoul, South Korea (though exceptionally high-quality remote-working candidates will be considered), the chosen candidate will work closely with our CEO and Managing Editor to provide regular written and presentational analysis of fast-moving events in and around North Korea.
This is a challenging but deeply rewarding job for either an up-and-coming or already established North Korea specialist who is keen to influence global affairs on DPRK issues while simultaneously making their mark at a fast-growing company.
The chosen candidate will be expected to:
- Hold a post-graduate degree (Masters or higher) related to international security, international relations, North Korea studies, or related topic area
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of and interest in contemporary North Korean issues: the economy, international relations, leadership, WMD, and sanctions
- Strong news judgment with an ability to find fresh analytic angles on developing news
- Demonstrate past experience and ability in writing clear and succinct research and analysis for business, political, and diplomatic audiences to tight deadlines
- Strong presentational skills: the chosen candidate will be expected to speak at events, as well as brief clients and make TV appearances on behalf of the company
- Willingness to occasionally work irregular and at antisocial hours when the news cycle requires it
- Have an openness to international travel
- Korean language proficiency is strongly preferred, though not a firm requirement
- Proficiency in other relevant languages, particularly Chinese, Japanese, or Russian, is also an asset
How to apply? Interested candidates should send a CV, cover letter, and three examples of North Korea-focused writing and/or spoken presentations to Chad O’Carroll (email) and Oliver Hotham (email) by November 1. [email protected] / [email protected]
Desired start date: December or January
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
NEWS TRAINEE (Seoul based, full-time)
NK News is seeking a Seoul-based, bilingual Korean / English news trainee for a full-time (40 hours/week), six month period, starting in early-November.
Working at the NK News Seoul office, the news trainee will be responsible for assisting in monitoring the media, gathering relevant Korean language news, translating and transcribing selected news and features from Korean to English (and vice versa), and attending events and conferences on behalf of the company.
Depending on their performance, news trainees will be taught how to write news and features and be invited to regularly contribute stories to the site, initially supporting full-time writers. They will also have the opportunity to publish under his or her own byline.
The intern will also be asked to assist staff members with internal company events and perform routine administrative tasks.
How to apply? Please send your English resume, English cover letter, and a writing sample to oliver[dot]hotham[at]nknews[dot]org and dagyum[dot]ji[at]nknews[dot]org, no later than Thursday, November 1
Desired start date: November 2018
Compensation: 1,325,280 KRW per month