Korea Risk Group is looking for a Deputy Editor who will closely work together with managing editor Kelly Kasulis in shaping exclusive content for NK News and NK Pro. The Deputy Editor will assist in managing daily news production and fill a key role ensuring the highest journalistic standards across all platforms and text forms.
- At least two years of full-time professional reporting experience in the journalism field
- Native English writing skills
- At least one year of copy editing or editing experience
- Korean language abilities or other language qualifications are a plus
- Edit and copy edit news stories, features, analyses, and other text forms
- Help manage news flow, schedule content, coordinate with reporters, format articles for the CMS, and find attractive images for stories
- Write news articles
- Monitor news while on call during weekend shifts and edit breaking news as needed
- Manage and coordinate editorial initiatives like “Ask a North Korean”
- Prepare content for the NK Pro newsletter
Interested? Please send us a cover letter of 500 words or fewer, your CV, three published writing samples, salary expectation, as well as two professional references who have worked with you in previous relevant roles. Only applications sent to [email protected] will be considered. We will be able to help successful candidates who are relocating obtain a work visa in South Korea.
NK Pro Analysts
Korea Risk Group is looking to expand its team of analysts and is seeking North Korea experts who are interested in contributing to NK Pro remotely, on a freelance or retainer basis. NK Pro analysts are intellectually rigorous and academically or professionally experienced researchers of North Korean political, economic, military or technological developments. Successful candidates will also have strong writing skills and the ability to produce concise copy, often on short notice.
- Proven expertise in analyzing political, economic, military or technological developments in North Korea
- Intellectual rigor and ability to thoroughly assess timely issues in a reflected and transparent manner, resulting in concise and readable copy suitable for publication on nknews.org
- Ability to produce timely analyses on recent developments, often on short notice and sometimes within as little as 24 hours
- Willingness to face questions and stylistic edits by NK News editors to ensure consistency with existing content on NK Pro
- Willingness to take a position and risk being proven wrong by North Korea’s often unpredictable actions
- Master’s Degree of higher in a field relevant to assessing contemporary developments on the Korean peninsula
- Experience writing in-depth analysis for academic journals or media outlets
Interested? Please send an email with your CV and three analytic writing samples to [email protected]. Competitive compensation will be offered on a per-article basis, with the option of a fixed retainer contract (a monthly base pay) after an initial assessment period of three months.