The North Korean ambassador to the UN on Tuesday said the DPRK strongly condemned the passage yesterday by the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) of new sanctions against the country.
Speaking at the UN Conference on Disarmament in Geneva, Switzerland, Han Tae Song reiterated his country’s claim that “forthcoming measures” will “make the U.S. suffer the greatest pain” in response to resolution 2375.
“My delegation condemns in the strongest terms and categorically rejects the latest illegal and unlawful UN Security Council resolution,” Han said, in comments carried by Reuters.
“The Washington regime is fired up for political, economic, and military confrontation…obsessed with the wild game of reversing the DPRK’s development of nuclear force which has already reached the completion phase,” he continued.
The UNSC adopted new sanctions against North Korea in New York on Monday. The measures target North Korea’s textile industry, apply caps on the transfer of refined petroleum products and natural gas to the country, and blacklist three major DPRK government bodies.
The new UN measures also prohibit the operation of joint ventures with North Korea, with the exception of existing China-DPRK hydroelectric power infrastructure projects, among other new restrictions.
A statement by the U.S. mission to the UN yesterday said the resolution would have a considerable impact on the North Korean economy.
“This resolution reduces about 30% of oil provided to North Korea by cutting off over 55% of refined petroleum products going to North Korea,” it read.
“Combined with the previous Security Council resolutions, over 90% of North Korea’s publicly reported 2016 exports of $2.7bn are now banned (coal, textiles, iron, seafood), which does not include revenues from overseas workers.”
South Korean and Japan, as well as other member states, welcomed the new UNSC sanctions and urged North Korea to commit to dialogue on its nuclear and missile development program.
But the resolution was a notably watered-down version of an original draft leaked to press last week, which sought to ban all fuels to the DPRK, while also authorizing member states to use force while inspecting suspicious North Korean vessels – neither proposal survived subsequent negotiations.
The measures are a response to North Korea’s sixth nuclear test on September 3, which Pyongyang has claimed was of a hydrogen bomb designed to be used on an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
They come just over a month after the passage of UNSC resolution 2371 against North Korea, which targeted the country’s trade in coal, iron, lead and seafood, potentially reducing the value of the DPRK’s exports by a third.
Hours before the UNSC was set to vote on the proposal, North Korea’s foreign ministry said that any new sanctions would see the U.S. “pay due price”.
“The DPRK is ready and willing to use any form of ultimate means.” the statement continued. The forthcoming measures to be taken by the DPRK will cause the U.S. the greatest pain and suffering it had ever gone through in its entire history.”
The North Korean foreign ministry said the world will see how it will “tame the U.S. gangsters by taking series of action tougher than they have ever envisaged.”
Reporting by Oliver Hotham, Dagyum Ji, and Damin Jung
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 534 words of this article.
Featured Image: ONU Genève (UN Geneva) by MPD01605 on 2008-04-24 14:59:28