The U.S. will “pay due price” if a fresh United Nations Security Council (UNSC) sanctions resolution is passed, the North Korean foreign ministry warned on Monday.
The statement, carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), comes ahead of a meeting by the UNSC in New York on Monday to vote on a new U.S.-led resolution in response to the North’s sixth nuclear test on September 3.
A leaked draft resolution last week showed that the U.S. is likely to push for heavy new sanctions that would prohibit all oil product sales to North Korea, as well as stopping member states hiring DPRK laborers, purchasing its textiles, and operating joint venture businesses in the country.
The measures are also expected to include asset freezes of senior leadership figures including Kim Jong Un, his sister Kim Yo Jong, and Hwang Pyong So, the DPRK’s Vice Chairman of the State Affairs Commission.
“In case the U.S. eventually does rig up the illegal and unlawful “resolution” on harsher sanctions, the DPRK shall make absolutely sure that the U.S. pays due price,” the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in the statement.
“The DPRK is ready and willing to use any form of ultimate means. The forthcoming measures to be taken by the DPRK will cause the U.S. the greatest pain and suffering it had ever gone through in its entire history.”
The North Korean foreign ministry said the world will see how it will “tame the U.S. gangsters by taking series of action tougher than they have ever envisaged.”
North Korea frequently issues threats against the U.S. in response to new sanctions. In August, in the aftermath of the passage of resolution 2371, the DPRK government in a statement threatened a “decisive act of justice” against Washington and nations which supported the new measures.
South Korea’s Ministry of Unification (MOU) on Monday reported that the release was the first statement in over a year directly from the DPRK Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which usually conveys its positions through spokespeople.
“We believe that [the statement was released] to send a warning and make justifications for an additional provocation ahead of [voting] on the ongoing UN Security Council sanctions resolution,” unification ministry spokesman Baek Tae-hyun told media during a regular news briefing.
The last statement to come under the MOFA name came in July 2016, in a commentary denouncing a U.S. State Department’s report on human rights, the MOU said.
Meanwhile, the state-run KCNA said on Saturday that “harsh sanctions” would create a “justification” for the North Korean nuclear program, in a commentary entitled “Final victory is in store for DPRK.”
The KCNA reported that it was a “tragedy” that the Trump administration had failed to “understand how the ‘time of pressure upon the DPRK’ will end.”
“Now there are only two ways for the U.S. to go; one is to admit the strategic position of the DPRK as a nuclear power of Juche and world-level military power and renounce its hostile policy,” the KCNA said. “The other is to face the miserable end through persistent confrontation with the DPRK.”
Andray Abrahamian, a Visiting Fellow at the Jeju Peace Research Institute, said the North Korea’s call for recognition as a nuclear state was “a non-proposal proposal.”
“I wonder if Pyongyang really thinks some kind of official recognition is possible. If so, would they officially on-the-record acknowledge the right of the ROK to host U.S. troops in Korea?”Abrahamian told NK News. “At this point, it’s hard to imagine the two sides coming to a compromise like that.”
Featured Image: Rodong Sinmun
Edited by Oliver Hotham
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 615 words of this article.