April 22, 2024
News

Activist renounces South Korean police protection from North Korean “threats”

Park Sang-hak, known for controversial leaflet launches, says he no longer wants to be tailed by local law enforcement

Defector activist Park Sang-hak on Thursday submitted a letter renouncing government protection from North Korean death threats, accusing South Korean police of using it as a pretext for surveilling him.

In a letter addressed to local and national police, as well as the National Intelligence Service (NIS), Park -- whose routine launches of anti-regime leaflets into the North sparked a major escalation of inter-Korean tensions last month -- said he no longer wanted the police protection provided to him for the past 12 years.

Become a member for less than $4 per week.

  • Unlimited access to all of NK News: reporting, investigations, analysis
  • The NK News Daily Update, an email newsletter to keep you in the loop
  • Searchable archive of all content, photo galleries, special columns
  • Contact NK News reporters with tips or requests for reporting
Get unlimited access to all NK News content, including original reporting, investigations, and analyses by our team of DPRK experts.
Subscribe now

All major cards accepted. No commitments – you can cancel any time.