Seoul seeks video calls with North Korea days after reconnecting hotlines | NK News
June 18, 2024
News

Seoul seeks video calls with North Korea days after reconnecting hotlines

DPRK has yet to respond after unification ministry sent document on establishing inter-Korean videoconference system

South Korea sent a document to North Korea requesting discussions on an inter-Korean video call system, a few days after the two sides reconnected hotlines, the unification ministry said on Monday.

The document is the first sent across the border via the communication channels since their restoration, a ministry official told NK News on Monday. The two Koreas announced the reestablishment of multiple hotlines last week, more than a year after North Korea “cut” the communication channels in June 2020.

Become a member for less than $4 per week.

  • Unlimited access to all of NK News: reporting, investigations, analysis
  • The NK News Daily Update, an email newsletter to keep you in the loop
  • Searchable archive of all content, photo galleries, special columns
  • Contact NK News reporters with tips or requests for reporting
Get unlimited access to all NK News content, including original reporting, investigations, and analyses by our team of DPRK experts.
Subscribe now

All major cards accepted. No commitments – you can cancel any time.