North Korea on Thursday committed to continue building up its “nuclear war deterrent” in the face of what it claimed was the U.S.’s hostile policy, in a statement released to mark 70 years since the outbreak of the Korean War.
A 5500-word report, published by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Institute for Disarmament and Peace, blamed the U.S. for the failure in DPRK-U.S. dialogue and “pushing” North Korea to “counter nuclear with nuclear.”
“In order to eliminate the nuclear threats from the U.S., the DPRK government made all possible efforts either through dialogue or in resort to the international law, but all ended in vain,” the report said.
“The option left was only one, and that was to counter nuclear with nuclear,” it said, describing how a “strong war deterrent for national defence came to stand out as an indispensable strategic option.”
This move represents legitimate self-defense, it emphasized, stressing the importance of leader Kim Jong Un’s decision at Central Military Commission meeting meeting in May to “further bolster the national nuclear war deterrent.”
The report comes amid heightened tension on the Korean peninsula, following Pyongyang’s demolition of an inter-Korean liaison office in Kaesong and a myriad of statements warning of looming military action against the South.
That preliminary meeting of the Seventh Worker’s Party of Korea (WPK) Central Military Commission (CMC) also saw Kim Jong Un examine plans “for further bolstering the war deterrent of the country, state media said.
Thursday’s foreign ministry report also lamented the failure of 2018 Singapore Summit with U.S. President Donald Trump, following remarks by foreign minister Ri Son Gwon earlier this month that the country would never offer the U.S. major concessions of that kind again.
“The U.S. hostile policy and nuclear threats against the DPRK became further aggressive after the DPRK-U.S. Summit held in Singapore for establishing a new bilateral relationship and building a lasting and durable peace mechanism on the Korean peninsula,” the report said.
The U.S. failed to respond with corresponding measures, it said, “despite the fact that we voluntarily took crucial and meaningful initiatives including the discontinuation of nuclear test and ICBM test-fire for the sake of building a mutual confidence.”
The MFA report also condemned the U.S. for “tens of joint military drills which its President personally promised to stop,” as well as shipping arms to the South.
“In order to eliminate the nuclear threats from the U.S., the DPRK government made all possible efforts either through dialogue or in resort to the international law, but all ended in vain,” it said.
The U.S., however, is “blackmailing” the North with nuclear threats and “cling[ing] to the pathological and inveterate hostile policy,” the MFA report argued.
It also criticized recent test-launches of inter-continental ballistic missiles (ICBM) and submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBM) by the U.S. These launches maximized nuclear threats for Pyongyang, it claimed, while also slamming joint air and marine drills this year.
“It is no less than the despicable double-dealing tactics for the U.S. to talk about a sort of dialogue while maximizing its attempts to oppress the DPRK politically, economically and militarily.”
The North will not shy away from “this road we have chosen,” the report said, arguing that strengthening war deterrent was now Pyongyang’s “final option.”
Meanwhile, in a speech Thursday night marking 70 years since the outbreak of the Korean War, South Korean President Moon Jae-in urged North Korea to play its part in bringing peace to the peninsula.
“We do not have any intention to force our system on the North,” Moon said.
“Our GDP is more than 50 times that of North Korea, and our trade is over 400 times that of the North,” he continued. “The two Koreas’ competition over political and economic systems already ended a long time ago.”
“I hope that North Korea will also boldly embark on an endeavor to end the most sorrowful war in world history.”
Edited by Oliver Hotham
North Korea on Thursday committed to continue building up its "nuclear war deterrent" in the face of what it claimed was the U.S.'s hostile policy, in a statement released to mark 70 years since the outbreak of the Korean War.
A 5500-word report, published by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Institute for Disarmament and Peace, blamed the U.S. for the failure in DPRK-U.S. dialogue and "pushing" North Korea to "counter nuclear with nuclear."