September 21, 2019
September 21, 2019
NK News statement on release of Alek Sigley
NK News statement on release of Alek Sigley
DPRK state media says Australian detainee was committing "anti-DPRK incitement" on behalf of NK News
July 6th, 2019

New user promotion

On Saturday, July 6, official DPRK state media reported that Australian national Alek Sigley – freed last week after a one-week detention in Pyongyang – was “caught red-handed committing anti-DPRK incitement through internet”.

“Investigation revealed that at the instigation of the NK News and other anti-DPRK media he handed over several times the data and photos he collected and analyzed while combing Pyongyang by making use of the identity card of a foreign student.”

The report said Sigley “honestly admitted his spying acts… and repeatedly asked for pardon, apologizing for encroachment upon the sovereignty of the DPRK.”

CEO of NK News Chad O’Carroll provides the following statement in response:

“NK News firstly appreciates the DPRK’s decision to promptly release Sigley on humanitarian grounds.”

“Alek Sigley’s well-read columns presented an apolitical and insightful view of life in Pyongyang which we published in a bid to show vignettes of ordinary daily life in the capital to our readers.

“The six articles Alek published represent the full extent of his work with us and the idea that those columns, published transparently under his name between January and April 2019, are “anti-state” in nature is a misrepresentation which we reject.”

NK News is an independent, privately owned specialist information website that aims to provide timely and objective news and analysis about the DPRK to English speaking audiences.

Skip to toolbar