A Chinese tourist died in early April after falling from a balcony at Pyongyang’s Sosan Hotel, multiple sources indicated to NK News on Thursday.
The fatality comes almost a year after a tragic bus crash in North Korea which resulted in the death of 32 visiting Chinese tourists.
“I got told a Chinese tourist fell from the 20th floor of the Sosan balcony and died two weeks ago,” a recent visitor to North Korea told NK News on condition of anonymity.
“Staff in the hotel heard the body hit”.
A second visitor confirmed hearing about the accident.
“I was told I think on April 5 or 4,” the person said, saying the incident took place “just before the marathon.”
The Sosan Hotel, which opened in 1989 and is located in west Pyongyang, features low-level balconies outside each room, which may have played a role in the tourist’s death.
“The Sosan hotel balcony is notorious for having very low balcony walls,” one of the visitors said. “Usually staff lock the balcony doors so tourists don’t go out, but if you pull the door hard enough it just pops out.”
No further information about the accident is available.
Following the bus crash last year, NK News learned that DPRK authorities provided $100,000 in compensation to each of the Chinese families impacted by the 32 deaths.
The two Chinese visitors who survived the accident were given unlimited tours to the DPRK as further compensation.
The tour had been run by the Korea Kumgang Group (KKG), which maintains a large taxi fleet and runs a restaurant and bar in the city, among other businesses.
The group was entirely prohibited from further tour operations as a direct result of the accident, NK News understands.
Edited by Oliver Hotham
Featured image: NK News
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 301 words of this article.