About the Author
Hamish Macdonald is an NK News contributor and has previously worked at The Korea Herald and for the Australia Centre for Independent Journalism in Sydney.
U.S. President Donald Trump has said that dialogue with North Korea “is not the answer” to resolving the issue of Pyongyang’s nuclear and missile development, in a post on Twitter on Wednesday.
Trump, who has repeatedly used social media as a platform to comment on North Korea and other policy issues, made the latest comments in the aftermath of the DPRK’s launch of a Hwasong-12 ballistic missile on Tuesday morning.
The missile, launched from northeast of Pyongyang, flew over Japan and landed in the sea east of Hokkaido.
“The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years,” Trump’s tweet read. “Talking is not the answer!”
The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years. Talking is not the answer!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 30, 2017
The comment also comes after the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) met in an emergency session on Tuesday in response to the missile launch. While the UNSC unanimously condemned the launch, no further response by the body has been made.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Wednesday agreed to jointly pursue further resolutions against North Korea in response to the launch, and that they would work towards gaining support from Russia and China for such measures.
A day previously, however, Russia’s state news agency ITAR-TASS reported on comments by Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov which criticised the impact and effectiveness of sanctions.
“If we go by how colleagues from the U.S. and other western countries have acted in the past, then of course we can expect new steps towards tightening the sanctions, but this will not solve the problem,” Ryabkov said.
“It is now obvious to everyone that the resources for influencing North Korea with sanctions have run out.”
While voting in favor of UNSC resolutions in the past and condemning the latest launch, both Russia and China maintain that dialogue must be sought to resolve the pervasive issue of North Korea’s prohibited ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programs.
The Ambassadors to the UN from both country’s reiterated this position again at the UNSC meeting on Tuesday.
“Resolution 2371… provides for further sanctions against the DPRK’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs and also calls for resumption of six party talks and pledges to seek peaceful diplomatic and political solution of the problem,” Liu Jieyi said, adding that member states must “create necessary conditions for the resumption of dialogue.”
“Security Council members must seek peaceful diplomatic and political solution plaguing the peninsula. The council must seek to reduce tensions in this region, there is no other way,” Russia’s Vasily Nebenzya said. “…as we repeatedly noted addressing the issues plaguing the peninsula through sanctions and pressure alone is impossible.”
“There can be no military solution to the issues… we believe that all further Security Council resolutions on the DPRK must explicitly underscore that fact,” he added.
Trump’s White House issued a statement on Tuesday regarding the recent ballistic missile launch by North Korea, saying that all options remained on the table – an implication that a military response remains a possibility.
“The world has received North Korea’s latest message loud and clear: this regime has signaled its contempt for its neighbors, for all members of the United Nations, and for minimum standards of acceptable international behavior,” the statement read.
“Threatening and destabilizing actions only increase the North Korean regime’s isolation in the region and among all nations of the world. All options are on the table.”
Edited by Oliver Hotham
Featured image: Gage Skidmore