About the Author
Dagyum Ji is a senior NK News correspondent based in Seoul. She previously worked for Reuters TV.
A North Korean media outlet on Saturday released a video depicting a missile attack on the U.S. territory of Guam, suggesting the strike could happen during the ongoing annual Ulchi Freedom Guardian (UFG) joint military exercises.
Uriminzokkiri said on Saturday that North Korea’s Strategic Force of the Korean People’s Army (KPA)’s “notice to fire” at the island of Guam had “caused an uproar in the White House, Pentagon, political circles, and Guam.”
“[The U.S.] should live keeping their eyes and ears open from now on,” the Korean captions of the video read.
“This is because the ‘Hwasong-12’ rocket is harassing the day and the night of the U.S.,” the subtitle continues, showing footage of two missiles being launched.
The two missiles then fly into the air, and a missile is seen heading toward Guam.
“If only a single shot falls into the surrounding territorial waters by breaking through the air defense system of Guam, the illusion of U.S. which is called as the sole superpower will be laid bare to the whole world,” the caption says.
The U.S. has been “unable to sit comfortably” recently, the video adds, and is “throwing away money” on missile defense systems.
“But the DPRK put their hands on the launch button while having a relaxing time and pushing it in due time,” the video says. “How the U.S. worries about it and shakes with anxiety.”
Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) Joseph Dunford, Vice President Mike Pence, CIA Director Mike Pompeo, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson are then seen on fire.
President Trump is then seen from behind looking at a graveyard marked with crosses, with the video declaring: “the fate of the sinful U.S. ends here.”
The video ends showing a calendar of the “South – U.S. Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills” from August 20 to 31. The UFG began, however, on Monday and runs until August 31.
The KPA Strategic Force said on August 9 that the North Korean military was “now carefully examining the operational plan for making an enveloping fire at the areas around Guam,” should the U.S. launch a preemptive strike on the DPRK.
General Kim Rak Gyom, commander of the Strategic Force of KPA, released a statement on the same day saying the North would attack Guam “through the simultaneous fire of four Hwasong-12 intermediate-range strategic ballistic rockets” and that they would complete the plan by mid-August.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was briefed on August 14, but decided he would “watch a little more the foolish and stupid conduct of the Yankees,” before launching the plan, in what was widely seen as a de-escalation after a week of tensions.
Edited by Oliver Hotham
Featured Image: Uriminzokkiri