May 22, 2024
News

Seoul announces hotline communications breakthrough with Pyongyang

Phone line apparently restored after North Korea said it severed all inter-Korean communication lines last year

South Korea and North Korea reestablished key communication channels on Tuesday morning at 10 a.m., the Blue House said on Tuesday, adding that the two Koreas have also been in active communication through letters between their respective leaders since April this year.

The news comes more than a year after North Korea announced it would sever all inter-Korean hotlines on June 9, 2020 after accusing the Moon Jae-in government of allowing anti-DPRK leaflets into North Korea. South Korea’s unification ministry said that day that North Korea did not respond to multiple phone calls from the South.

Become a member for less than $4 per week.

  • Unlimited access to all of NK News: reporting, investigations, analysis
  • The NK News Daily Update, an email newsletter to keep you in the loop
  • Searchable archive of all content, photo galleries, special columns
  • Contact NK News reporters with tips or requests for reporting
Get unlimited access to all NK News content, including original reporting, investigations, and analyses by our team of DPRK experts.
Subscribe now

All major cards accepted. No commitments – you can cancel any time.