U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday said that a date and venue for his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un had been agreed on, adding that there would be an announcement “soon”.
Trump made the comments during a press conference as he left the White House for a visit to Texas.
“We now have a date and we have a location, we’ll be announcing it soon,” Trump said.
The comments indicate that the summit – the first involving a sitting U.S. President and a North Korean leader – has been greenlit and likely to go ahead.
The negotiations were originally scheduled to happen in late May or early June, while Trump recently indicated he could meet Kim in the Demilitarized Zone in South Korea, as South Korean President Moon Jae-in did during his summit with Kim on April 27.
But other, more neutral countries like Singapore and Mongolia have also been suggested.
The U.S. Vice President also postponed on Thursday a trip to Brazil scheduled for the end of May, citing the summit with Pyongyang as the reason.
“The Vice President is delaying his trip to Brazil in order to ensure all diplomatic and national security resources are available as President Trump plans for his historic talks with the Kim regime,” Alyssa Farah, Mike Pence’s spokesperson, said on Thursday.
During the press conference, Trump was also asked about recent reports that three U.S. citizens currently held in North Korea would soon be released, though his answer was light on detail.
“We’re having very substantive talks with North Korea and a lot of things have already happened with respect to the hostages, and I think you’re going to see very good things. As I said yesterday, stay tuned,” Trump added.
The U.S. President also denied a recent report from the New York Times which claimed he was considering reducing the number of U.S. troops in South Korea.
“Troops are not on the table,” Trump told assembled reporters.
On the same day, Trump’s National Security Adviser John Bolton called the New York Times article “utter nonsense”.
“The president has not asked the Pentagon to provide options for reducing American forces stationed in South Korea,” Bolton said in comments carried by ABC News.
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 380 words of this article.
Featured Image: Donald Trump by Gage Skidmore on 2018-02-23 08:31:40