North Korea is willing to engage in talks with the U.S. under the right conditions, senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son Hui told reporters on Saturday in comments published by South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency.
Speaking in Beijing on her way back from Norway, where DPRK officials are reported to have been engaged in Track 1.5 talks with former U.S. officials, Choe was asked whether her government was preparing for talks with the Trump administration.
“We’ll have dialogue if the conditions are there,” Choe Son Hui, who serves as head of U.S. affairs for the DPRK foreign ministry, said.
When asked if North Korea would approach South Korea’s newly elected government for talks, she simply responded: “We’ll see”.
Choe, who has extensive experience working on high-level talks with the U.S., did not specify what conditions would be necessary for talks to take place.
In a major editorial and its first directed at South Korea since Tuesday’s election of Moon Jae-in, the Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of North Korea’s ruling party, on Thursday called for dialogue and negotiations with Seoul.
U.S. President Donald Trump said in an interview last week that he would be “honored” to meet Kim Jong Un, and that he would engage in talks “under the right circumstances”.
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 221 words of this article.
Featured Image: DMZ - South Korea by Konrad Karlsson on 2013-03-28 07:29:40