N.Korea building 3,000-ton class submarine, researcher says | NK News
June 24, 2024
News

N.Korea building 3,000-ton class submarine, researcher says

Ultimate goal is to load four new SLBMs into the new submarine: NKIS

North Korea has been developing a 3,000-ton class diesel-powered submarine since 2009, with the new type aimed at being capable of loading four of its new submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), a researcher claimed on Wednesday.

During a bimonthly briefing held in Seoul, Kim Heung-kwang of North Korea Intellectuals Solidarity (NKIS) said the North had been developing a submarine that is bigger than Sinpo-class, the largest known North Korean submarine, for the last few years.

Become a member for less than $4 per week.

  • Unlimited access to all of NK News: reporting, investigations, analysis
  • The NK News Daily Update, an email newsletter to keep you in the loop
  • Searchable archive of all content, photo galleries, special columns
  • Contact NK News reporters with tips or requests for reporting
Get unlimited access to all NK News content, including original reporting, investigations, and analyses by our team of DPRK experts.
Subscribe now

All major cards accepted. No commitments – you can cancel any time.