North Korea is not cooperating with Swedish requests for consular talks with Kenneth Bae, Voice of America (VOA) said on Tuesday.
Sweden’s Embassy in Pyongyang, which is acting on behalf of Washington in the absence of a U.S. embassy in North Korea, said it had not met with Kenneth Bae for over three months, VOA said.
Swedish officials last met with Kenneth Bae on April 18, over three months ago.
Previously, Swedish embassy staff had met with Kenneth Bae at least once every two months, VOA said.
The lack of consular access is noteworthy because Swedish officials had spoken to the North Korean side as frequently as every ten days throughout the months of April and May.
VOA confirmed the news with the U.S. State Department, who said that the Swedish Embassy was continuing to request consular talks on their behalf.
Kenneth Bae’s mother, Myunghee Bae, told VOA she was frustrated that North Korea was not providing updates on her son’s health condition.
Nearly a month ago North Korea announced it would try two other U.S. nationals currently detained for “hostile acts” against the nation.
24 year old Matthew Todd Miller was arrested in April for trying to claim asylum upon arrival in Pyongyang, while 56-year old Jeffrey Fowle was arrested in June for reportedly leaving a bible in a hotel.
Kenneth Bae, arrested in November 2012, is the longest serving American prisoner in North Korea.
Picture: KCNA
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 241 words of this article.
EXISTING MEMBER?






');
newWindow.document.write('
');
newWindow.document.write('