North Korean and American officials will hold another round of talks next week, South Korea’s Blue House announced on Sunday.
The meetings will go ahead “in the week beginning February 17 in a third nation in Asia,” Presidential spokesperson Kim Eui-keum told a regular briefing.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in is also expected to hold talks with U.S. President Donald Trump soon, the Blue House added.
“We are going to announce details as soon as preparations are complete,” Kim said.
The news comes just two days after U.S. Special Representative on North Korea Stephen Biegun returned to the South following three days of talks in Pyongyang — meetings which largely focused on planning for an upcoming U.S.-DPRK summit.
Friday saw the State Department announce that the U.S. expects the two sides to meet again “in advance of President Trump and Chairman Kim’s second summit.”
President Donald Trump that same day announced Hanoi as the host city for the summit, saying Biegun and DPRK counterpart Kim Hyok Chol had held “very productive meeting[s]” and “agreed upon [a] time and date” for the event.
Biegun, in turn, told reporters in Seoul Saturday he was “confident that if both sides stay committed, we can make real progress,” and that “we have some hard work to do with the DPRK between now” and the Trump-Kim summit.
While the location of next week’s talks is unclear, with Hanoi now confirmed as the location for the upcoming summit the two sides may choose to meet in Vietnam.
It is also unclear whether Biegun will participate in next week’s meetings: the U.S. Special Representative was earlier on Sunday reported to have returned to Washington DC.
Featured image: State Department
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 291 words of this article.