Washington is working on a second meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the White House said on Monday.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Kim requested a second summit via a letter sent to Trump last week.
“The primary purpose of the letter was to a request and look to schedule another meeting with the president, which we are open to and are already in the process of coordinating that,” Sanders told assembled reporters.
“It’s certainly something that we want to take place and are already continuing to work on making that happen.”
Sanders added the letter was “very warm” and “very positive”, adding that the White House considered it further evidence of progress towards denuclearization, though did not have additional details about the possible timing or location of the proposed meeting.
Citing other examples of apparent positive momentum, the White House press secretary highlighted how Sunday’s military parade in the North Korean capital did not feature any nuclear-capable intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs).
“We consider (the parade) a sign of good faith, and again the letter from Kim Jong Un to the president certainly showed a commitment to continuing conversations, continuing to work on the progress that they have had since their meeting just they had just a few months ago and also a continued commitment to focus on denuclearization of the peninsula,” Sanders said.
The remarks echoed a twitter statement from Trump on Sunday who thanked the North Korean leader for not showcasing any ICBM technology, calling the move a “big and positive statement.”
But the comments came on the same day as national security adviser John Bolton said that Washington can’t force North Korea to denuclearize and it was up to the authorities in Pyongyang to take the next step.
“We’re still waiting for them. The possibility of another meeting between the two presidents obviously exists, but President Trump can’t make the North Koreans walk through the door he’s holding open,” Bolton said in remarks to the Federalist Society in comments carried by the Washington Examiner.
Bolton also claimed Kim had told his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in back in April that he was willing to give up his nuclear weapons in a period of one year.
“Moon Jae-in said to Kim Jong Un, ‘Why don’t we do it in one year?’ And Kim Jong Un said, ‘We’ll do it in one year,’ ” the national security adviser said.
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 417 words of this article.
Featured Image: White House by joelsage on 2012-09-13 16:43:41