U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday said he will visit Pyongyang again in the near future, during an address to business leaders in Detroit.
While he did not provide specific details on the timing of the visit, the Secretary of State said the two sides continued to work on issues raised at last week’s summit between U.S. President Trump and Kim Jong Un.
“There’s a lot of work between here and there. My team is already doing it. I’ll likely travel back before too terribly long,” Pompeo said.
The visit would be Pompeo’s third visit to Pyongyang since April, having already traveled to the North Korean capital in his capacity as CIA director and then as Secretary of State.
Pompeo’s comments follow an agreement signed by both Trump and Kim at the landmark summit held on June 12.
But while in the run-up to the summit Washington insisted it would look for concrete steps on North Korean denuclearization, the final document did not make reference to any timelines or subsequent steps.
“I don’t see any indication that North Korea has changed its grand strategy and overall long-term objectives,” Daniel Pinkston, a North Korea expert at Troy University told NK News.
Following the talks, Trump indicated that some details weren’t included in the document due to time constraints, with Pompeo on Monday acknowledging that more work needs to be done.
“We still need to flesh out all the things that underlay the commitments that were made that day in Singapore,” Pompeo added.
The U.S. Secretary of State also reiterated Washington’s position that Kim appears serious about denuclearization, adding that the U.S. was willing to alter the Armistice Agreement between the two countries “to provide the security assurances that Chairman Kim needs.”
The Armistice Agreement signed by the U.S., North Korea, United Nations Command and China in 1953 ended the Korean War in a ceasefire, though fell short of a full peace treaty.
South Korea on Monday announced Washington and Seoul had suspended planning for the Ulchi Freedom Guardian (UFG) joint military drills, which typically take place
“Consistent with President Trump’s commitment and in concert with our Republic of Korea ally, the United States military has suspended all planning for this August’s defensive wargame (Freedom Guardian),” Pentagon spokesperson Dana White later said.
“We are still coordinating additional actions. No decisions on subsequent wargames have been made.”
Edited by Oliver Hotham
Featured image: State Department