North Korea has banned foreigners from participating in the Pyongyang Marathon, slated for April, due to ongoing quarantine measures to prevent the spread of the Ebola virus, a North Korea tour agency said Monday.
“No foreigners – professional or amateur – will be able to attend,” Young Pioneer Tours managing director Troy Collings told NK News. He wasn’t told the reason other than it is related to the North Korea’s Ebola measures, he said.
“It’s likely there may still be a marathon held in Pyongyang but no international runners will be allowed to compete,” Collings said.
Sources in the tourism industry told NK News on Saturday that official inquiries for information on the marathon had recently been made and that North Korean officials indicated that the decision to hold or cancel the event would be made by North Korea’s Sports Commission.
Pyongyang’s state media, unlike Western media, has been covering Ebola as a growing threat. As recently as last week Wednesday, the Korea Central News Agency reported growing casualties from the Ebola virus.
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 217 words of this article.
Featured Image: Pyongyang Marathon 2014 by northkoreatravel on 2014-04-12 20:46:14