Imprisoned American citizen Kenneth Bae has said he feels abandoned by the U.S. Government in an interview with Japanese media on Thursday.
Bae, who is serving a 15 year hard labor sentence in North Korea, also told the pro-DPRK newspaper Choson Sinbo that he was concerned about his health and the prospects for his release.
“Bae said he had heard that the U.S. government is doing everything it can for his release but feels disappointment that there has been no sign of resolution” the Choson Sinbo article reads.
According to the report Bae also requested that the U.S. send over a special envoy other than Robert King to help with his case. The DPRK have cancelled two proposed visits from King in two years.
Concerns over Bae’s health have risen before, he was hospitalized in Pyongyang in March and the U.S. have previously requested North Korea pardon Bae on medical grounds. Bae told Choson Sinbo in a previous interview on July 3 that he suffered from diabetes, Hyperlipidemia, fatty liver and arteriosclerosis.
“He expressed anxiety that if he is to go back to the labor camp, such symptoms may become worse and said he is stressed that he is unable to pay fees for the hospital treatments,” Choson Sinbo said.
Bae was the owner of China-based tour company Nations Tours and was detained in 2012 during a five-day trip with other tourists near Rajin port in the Northeast of the country.
He was subsequently sentenced to 15 years hard labor in May 2013 for preaching Christianity, which North Korea deemed to be “hostile acts against the state”.
Two other U.S. citizens, Matthew Miller and Jeffrey Edward Fowle, are also currently detained in North Korea and will be facing trial for “hostile acts” according to the Korea Central News Agency (KCNA). However no trial dates or details have since been released.
Image: Choson Sinbo
Join the influential community of members who rely on NK News original news and in-depth reporting.
Subscribe to read the remaining 314 words of this article.