What to make of North Korean threats to withdraw from diplomacy with the U.S.
A statement by Choe Son Hui hints that Kim Jong Un's "new way" may be on the horizon
Senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son Hui, officially the country’s Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs, on Friday laid the groundwork for the end of the round of U.S.-North Korea diplomacy that began in April last year.
According to Russia’s TASS news agency—a state-run news service—Choe said that Pyongyang would “never yield” to American demands and that North Korea is considering breaking off talks.
That message echoes what Choe had said alongside North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong Ho on February 28, at an impromptu press conference following the breakdown of
- 01How foreign media is changing the ways North Koreans view the outside world
- 02What to expect at a potential North Korean military parade next month
- 03The View from Jingshan: In Chinese media, DPRK-U.S. relations get the spotlight
- 04How technology impacts foreign media consumption, and crackdowns, in North Korea
- 05Pro-North Korea website details how the country achieved “bumper crop” in 2019
- 06North Korea reshuffles its foreign policy top brass: potential implications
- 07North Korean leader’s Toyota luxury bus, multiple Lexus SUVs appear in 2019 film
- 08Kim Jong Un’s claims of a “bumper harvest” in North Korea: what the data shows