Timeline: From US-ROK drills to Yoon’s ‘audacious plan’ for North Korea
NK Pro timeline charts the key events from August 1 - August 31
The U.S. and South Korea conducted the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) joint military exercises in August, their first large-scale field training since 2018.
The DPRK fired two cruise missiles ahead of the drills, but didn’t react in any major way. Pyongyang has yet to conduct its widely anticipated seventh nuclear test, with Washington and Seoul confirming in August that the allies will deploy strategic assets to the peninsula if it does.
Meanwhile, South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol elaborated on his “audacious plan” to offer North Korea economic assistance in return for denuclearization.[p
- 01How North Korean support for Russia and Hamas compels Seoul to pivot West
- 02State media review: North Korea to hold major political meeting to wrap up year
- 03From QR codes to the blockchain: Inside North Korea’s digital payment plans
- 04Kim Jong Un reviews old satellite imagery despite North Korea’s new eyes in sky
- 05Eyes above: How a new ROK satellite will help monitor North Korea’s every move
- 06Timeline: From North Korea’s satellite launch to scrapping 2018 military deal
- 07North Korea’s post-reform elections looked a lot like those that came before
- 08State media review: North Korea faults ‘puppets’ for collapse of military deal