Timeline: From reports of starvation in North Korea to Blinken’s trip to China
NK Pro timeline charts the key events from June 1 - June 30
A number of conflicting reports surfaced in June about the severity of food shortages in North Korea.
Most notably, the BBC reported that North Koreans said “food is so scarce their neighbors have starved to death.” This followed reports about fluctuating food prices and what Pyongyang itself described as a “food crisis” since closing the country’s borders at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.
On the other hand, Russian Ambassador to the DPRK Alexander Matsegora told NK News that the BBC report was “so biased and so far from the truth,” while Cuba’s
- 01Timeline: From North Korean threats against South to soccer defeat to Japan
- 02State media review: Drought forecast raises risks to North Korean food security
- 03Russian ship rejoins North Korea weapons trade, only for operation to go on hold
- 04Russia obscures North Korea arms trade by moving operation out of military port
- 05How great power competition is shaping North Korea’s grand strategy
- 06Why talks on North Korea’s nuclear program still can’t get off the ground
- 07North Korea hints beach resort twice as long as Waikiki may finally open soon
- 08State media review: North Korea slams US ‘air pirates’ for raising risk of war
- 09What North Korea’s official budget reveals about its spending priorities in 2024
- 10How North Korean aggression and the Taiwan election complicate China-DPRK ties