Timeline: From North Korea’s ‘military action plan’ to missiles and summits
NK Pro timeline charts the key events from June 1 - June 30
North Korea raised alarm after leader Kim Jong Un and other officials discussed strengthening units facing South Korea and a “major military action plan” at a top–level military meeting in June. While state media reports did not directly mention nuclear weapons, experts say that enhancing “operational capabilities of the frontline units” could refer to the deployment of tactical nuclear weapons.
This came as Washington and Seoul continued to warn of a potentially imminent DPRK nuclear test, possibly for a smaller warhead to fit on the new “tactical guided weapon” Pyongyang tested in April.
- 01Timeline: From South Korean nukes to North Korean lockdown
- 02State media review: North Korea orders young ‘volunteers’ to construction sites
- 03Sprawling worker camp appears near North Korea’s military nerve center
- 04Vast new trove of North Korean laws shines light on developments in country
- 05What’s left of the foreign community in Pyongyang, three years into pandemic
- 06Pyongyang streets empty but civilians still training for military parade: Images
- 07Why North Korean state media remains silent about the Pyongyang lockdown
- 08State media review: North Korea celebrates Cold War capture of US ship