Timeline: From North Korea’s ‘military action plan’ to missiles and summits
NK Pro timeline charts the key events from June 1 - June 30
North Korea raised alarm after leader Kim Jong Un and other officials discussed strengthening units facing South Korea and a “major military action plan” at a top–level military meeting in June. While state media reports did not directly mention nuclear weapons, experts say that enhancing “operational capabilities of the frontline units” could refer to the deployment of tactical nuclear weapons.
This came as Washington and Seoul continued to warn of a potentially imminent DPRK nuclear test, possibly for a smaller warhead to fit on the new “tactical guided weapon” Pyongyang tested in April.
- 01North Korea eyes China border trade resumption as quarantine center cleared
- 02How corruption conquered North Korea, and why it’s there to stay
- 03With military makeover, Kim Jong Un asserts his own power in face of troubles
- 04State media review: North Korea backs China over Taiwan issue
- 05North Korea’s proclamation of COVID ‘victory’ only portends more suffering ahead
- 06Kim Jong Un megayacht spotted at secluded beach while leader out of public view
- 07The flaws in the Bank of Korea’s estimates of North Korean economic activity
- 08Flooding hits new construction at North Korea’s Sohae spaceport: Imagery