The other Korean demographic crisis: Unmasking North Korea’s population data
DPRK has likely fudged numbers since 90s famine, a finding that impacts assessments of military and economic strength
South Korea famously has the lowest birth rate in the world, setting new records over the past decade that have left it facing an array of social, economic and security challenges.
But while less widely known is that just across the border, North Korea also faces its own demographic challenges. The country, one of the poorest in Asia, has a population far older than most countries with a low GDP.
NK Pro analysis indicates that:North Korean census data is unreliable, and the country probably has a lower population than it reports to the
- 01North Korean launchpad busy despite Putin’s vow to help launch DPRK satellites
- 02Why China isn’t too worried about Kim Jong Un’s trip to cozy up to Russia
- 03State media review: Kim Jong Un ramps up personality cult with new mosaic mural
- 04Why interoperability remains a hurdle for trilateral cooperation on North Korea
- 05North Korea confirms long-time weapons official leading top missile bureau
- 06RECAP: Everything we know about Kim Jong Un’s grand odyssey in Russian Far East
- 07What the North Korean Red Guards’ new toys reveal about military modernization
- 08State media review: North Koreans ‘pine for’ Kim Jong Un as he travels abroad