North Korea’s Tree-planting Day highlights nationwide nursery projects
Satellite imagery reveals scope of long-stalled provincial tree nurseries seeing renewed push since 2018
North Korea has long promoted reforestation efforts as a key national undertaking, with state media often discussing various new tree nursery facilities to boost seedling and sapling production at every administrative level.
To celebrate National Tree-planting Day on Monday this week, state media even announced that sapling production capacity had doubled since 2015 due to these efforts, and that progress is being made on new facilities across the country.
NK Pro has identified the largest of these tree nursery complexes still under construction at the beginning of this year but which appear to be nearing completion
- 01From Voice of America to Voice of Trump? The future of U.S. radio in North Korea
- 02Timeline: from rising inter-Korean tensions to a “suspension” of military plans
- 03North Korea in June 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 04Some progress on long-stalled Pyongyang housing blocks under new campaign
- 05Sitting above rank: the rise of Ri Pyong Chol, Pak Jong Chon, and the military
- 06Secret partner: North Korean in Thailand behind network of money-making entities
- 07North Korean think tank statement shows focus on U.S. ‘hostile policy’ prevails
- 08Volte-face: What explains Kim Jong Un’s sudden change of heart?