Why Kim Jong Un is skipping public appearances amid health concerns
North Korean leader may be taking COVID-19 precautions more seriously, or signaling a new tradition change
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un appears to have skipped another photo opportunity with attendees at a key event, raising questions over possible new COVID-19 precautions or personal health issues, or if the move is part of more changes to traditional party optics.
Before last month, Kim had never missed a group photo with attendees at major party congresses. That changed when he failed to appear for a photo at the General Federation of Trade Unions congress in late May amid an extended public absence.
Now, five days have passed since a Pyongyang rally closed
- 01A North Korean ministry returns from dead, and what it means for farming reform
- 02Timeline: From Kim-Putin meeting to North Korea’s expulsion of Travis King
- 03State media review: North Korea dubs Yoon ‘diplomatic idiot’ over Russia remarks
- 04North Korea faces daunting challenge in modernizing its archaic naval fleet
- 05How North Korea and Russia could build their own crypto ‘shadow economy’
- 06North Korean launchpad busy despite Putin’s vow to help launch DPRK satellites
- 07Why China isn’t too worried about Kim Jong Un’s trip to cozy up to Russia
- 08State media review: Kim Jong Un ramps up personality cult with new mosaic mural