Why do so many people believe Kim Jong Un holds absolute power?
The evidence suggests he does not rule alone
North Korean propaganda claims that whatever Kim Jong Un says will be done. Many foreign observers replicate this account of his absolute power without voicing any doubt or looking for proof.
For them, understanding Kim’s personality is the key to understanding how to deal with North Korea. They also regard top-down diplomacy with North Korea as highly promising: just convince this one guy and a deal is done!
To support their claim, they refer to the way propaganda stages power by presenting Kim Jong Un as the sole ruler and to statements by North
- 01Pyongyang streets empty but civilians still training for military parade: Images
- 02Why North Korean state media remains silent about the Pyongyang lockdown
- 03State media review: North Korea celebrates Cold War capture of US ship
- 04North Korea pushes ahead with military parade training despite virus lockdown
- 05North Korea’s parliament introduces first new speaker in nearly 2 years
- 06Inside the shadowy team of elite North Korean photographers covering Kim Jong Un
- 07North Korean soldiers spotted with sanctioned firm’s tech for first time
- 08How North Korean hackers could weaponize artificial intelligence like ChatGPT