Timeline: From Kim’s ominous nuclear warnings to North Korea’s new missiles
NK Pro timeline charts the key events from April 1 - April 30
North Korea held its long-awaited military parade on April 25, as opposed to the 110th birthday of the country’s first leader Kim Il Sung on April 15 as was widely expected. North Korea rolled out what are likely new solid fuel missiles and leader Kim Jong Un delivered an ominous nuclear warning that he may envision wider roles for his nuclear arsenal beyond self-defense..
According to Kim, the DPRK will use its nuclear weapons for deterrence as well as for an unspecified “secondary mission” if his country’s interests are threatened. He reiterated his hardline positions later in
- 01State media review: Pandemic and drought conspire in North Korea
- 02New leader means new uncertainties and nuclear dangers on Korean Peninsula
- 03East Asia is changing. So should the way Washington, Seoul and Tokyo cooperate.
- 04Pyongyang’s COVID negligence could spell disaster for its most vulnerable
- 05North Korean COVID-19 rules warn of transmission by balloons, drones and rivers
- 06Why the risks of an Omicron outbreak in North Korea are getting worse
- 07Why biological weapons risks complicate provision of COVID aid to North Korea
- 08State media review: North Korea raises alarm about harmful drought