The significance of North Korea’s commemoration of Kim’s three-year-old title
State Affairs Commission gained importance compared to 2017/18, plus return of term "war deterrent"
Pyongyang went all out in its first official commemoration of Kim’s State Affairs Commission (SAC) chairman election anniversary three years after he was first elected to the position in 2016.
It held a “central report meeting [CRM]” on June 28 and issued a party daily editorial on June 29. State media continued to stress the significance of the event the day after the date of the anniversary by publishing articles on Kim Jong Un’s “programmatic works” and congratulatory performances.
Kim’s SAC chairman election has become the second Kim Jong Un-related anniversary observed by the North
- 01Why the DPRK’s subpar healthcare system may be its biggest threat to the region
- 02Expanding Japan-linked mall, online shop in Pyongyang targets “modern tastes”
- 03Why mum? Explaining North Korea’s continued silence on foreign policy
- 04North Korean official claims about child nutrition: what the data shows
- 05North Korea moves to prevent the spread of coronavirus: what we know so far
- 06Timeline: from the “head-on breakthrough battle” policy to the novel coronavirus
- 07North Korea in January 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 08How foreign media is changing the ways North Koreans view the outside world