The significance of North Korea’s commemoration of Kim’s three-year-old title
State Affairs Commission gained importance compared to 2017/18, plus return of term "war deterrent"
Pyongyang went all out in its first official commemoration of Kim’s State Affairs Commission (SAC) chairman election anniversary three years after he was first elected to the position in 2016.
It held a “central report meeting [CRM]” on June 28 and issued a party daily editorial on June 29. State media continued to stress the significance of the event the day after the date of the anniversary by publishing articles on Kim Jong Un’s “programmatic works” and congratulatory performances.
Kim’s SAC chairman election has become the second Kim Jong Un-related anniversary observed by the North
- 01Wollo-ri: nuclear warhead storage area, manufacturing site, or military academy?
- 02Satellite internet in North Korea: past, present, and future
- 03Six months since border closures, fears of COVID-19 mount in North Korea
- 04North Korea’s July Politburo meeting: what was discussed and why it matters
- 05How Moon’s diplomatic and security reshuffle may impact North Korea
- 06From Voice of America to Voice of Trump? The future of U.S. radio in North Korea
- 07Timeline: from rising inter-Korean tensions to a “suspension” of military plans
- 08North Korea in June 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead