The significance of North Korea’s commemoration of Kim’s three-year-old title
State Affairs Commission gained importance compared to 2017/18, plus return of term "war deterrent"
Pyongyang went all out in its first official commemoration of Kim’s State Affairs Commission (SAC) chairman election anniversary three years after he was first elected to the position in 2016.
It held a “central report meeting [CRM]” on June 28 and issued a party daily editorial on June 29. State media continued to stress the significance of the event the day after the date of the anniversary by publishing articles on Kim Jong Un’s “programmatic works” and congratulatory performances.
Kim’s SAC chairman election has become the second Kim Jong Un-related anniversary observed by the North
- 01After Kim’s Paektu visit, North Korea strongly hints at looming hard-line move
- 02What to make of Kim Jong Un’s impromptu visit to Mount Paektu this week
- 03On party founding anniversary, North Korea bolsters Kim Jong Un’s leadership
- 04Fueling the country: tracking North Korea’s growing number of gas stations
- 05North Korea reinforces ideological education against “bourgeois” values
- 06“New ways of calculation”: Kim Myong Gil’s Stockholm press conference, in full
- 07The DPRK foreign ministry’s readout of Stockholm talks: key takeaways
- 08Why U.S.-North Korea talks in Sweden fell apart — and what might happen next