Shoddy construction on display at Sinuiju riverside high-rise construction site
Work appeared active in late March, photos show
Construction work on a large high-rise building in the North Korean border city of Sinuiju appears to be ongoing, recent photos obtained by NK Pro reveal, though the quality of the work hints that corners are being cut and safety standards are being compromised.
Lying directly across from the popular Yalu River Broken Bridge tourist spot in Dandong, the ornate building reminiscent of a ringed planet or atom is set to house apartments intended as gifts for local scientists, sources told NK News last year.
Close-up images of the building’s facade reveal, however, that
- 01North Korea’s Central Bank: lender, regulator, and inflation fighter
- 02The “silent war”: Kim Jong Un’s battle for North Korean hearts and minds
- 03In review: inter-Korean relations, prospects for change since the Hanoi summit
- 04North Korean criticism of U.S. for joint drills could signal bigger policy shift
- 05The View from Jingshan: anniversary of Sino-DPRK ties passes without a summit
- 06North Korea in October 2019: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 07What to make of North Korea’s third successful MRLS test this year
- 08North Korean media coverage of the October 31 weapons test: some oddities