Rebuilding with care: Kim Jong Un’s on-site scoldings spur drastic demolitions
Factories, other major projects underwent redevelopment following leader's visits last year
Since last summer, a feature of North Korean state media coverage of some of Kim Jong Un’s site inspections across the country has been furious and direct criticism of officials at factories and other sites.
During these trips, Kim is often shown in official pictures with glum expressions, and is quoted as highlighting the failures of officials to self-motivate or carry out previous remodeling plans, sometimes directly criticizing their “lax” attitudes or their “disregard” for central party directives.
And while Kim Jong Un’s instructions during on-site inspections have frequently generated quick and dramatic
- 01The view from Jingshan: China reacts to North Korea’s renewed testing
- 02Context and translation: party daily recollects Kim Jong Un’s 2019 achievements
- 03What to make of North Korea’s “very important” test at Sohae
- 04How North Korea is making the most of its aging air force
- 05Timeline: from tensions over drills to a mystery “Christmas gift”
- 06North Korea’s unusual Party plenum in late December: what to expect
- 07North Korea in November 2019: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 08Context and translation: North Korean coverage of the November 28 weapons test