Civilians involved in hard manual labor in Samjiyon, photos and testimony reveal
Civilians observed digging foundations for new buildings by hand, source says
North Korean civilians including women and the elderly appear to have been involved in tough manual labor for long hours without adequate tools or machinery in a major construction project at Samjiyon, photos and testimony shared with NK Pro shows.
While much of the footage and images from state media show primarily workers dressed in military or military-style uniforms carrying out construction tasks with machinery and tools, images taken from the ground in the second quarter of 2018 paint a contrasting picture.
A source present at the site, who wished to remain anonymous due to sensitivities
- 01Timeline: From North Korea’s mammoth ICBM launch to Kim Jong Un’s daughter
- 02State media review: North Korea boasts about close ties between Kim and Xi
- 03Rail trade with North Korea threatened as COVID surges in Chinese border city
- 04Prominent promotions: North Korea’s new generals and ‘hero’ missile transporter
- 05FULL TEXT: North Korea’s death penalty decree for spreading COVID ‘rumors’
- 06North Korean insurance companies increase profits despite pandemic and lockdown
- 07State media review: North Korea rewards greenhouse workers with new homes
- 08What metadata reveals about North Korea’s latest long-range missile test