Civilians involved in hard manual labor in Samjiyon, photos and testimony reveal
Civilians observed digging foundations for new buildings by hand, source says
North Korean civilians including women and the elderly appear to have been involved in tough manual labor for long hours without adequate tools or machinery in a major construction project at Samjiyon, photos and testimony shared with NK Pro shows.
While much of the footage and images from state media show primarily workers dressed in military or military-style uniforms carrying out construction tasks with machinery and tools, images taken from the ground in the second quarter of 2018 paint a contrasting picture.
A source present at the site, who wished to remain anonymous due to sensitivities
- 01UN Panel of Experts: Why North Korea investigations don’t lead to new sanctions
- 02North Korea’s broken bridges: Photos show typhoon and flood wreckage nationwide
- 03Why Kim Jong Un’s letters probably don’t mean a shift in South Korea policy
- 04North Korea’s killing of a South Korean official spells trouble for Moon Jae-in
- 05Hope is not lost: President Biden might actually make progress on North Korea
- 06What North Korea can do right now to stave off a full-blown economic crisis
- 07North Korea upgrades security at Kim Jong Un’s giant Pyongyang mansion complex
- 08At least 14 North Korean ships disguise themselves in international waters