North Korean party daily calls national defense “number one” priority
A Rodong Sinmun article emphasizing defense capabilities appears to signal yet another shift
The authoritative party daily Rodong Sinmun on September 26 published a “special article [ronsol],” explicitly stating that strengthening defense capabilities is the most important task facing the nation.
This theme was masked under a seemingly prosaic title, “National Affairs Stand Above Household Affairs,” and the predominant theme of giving priority to the greater good rather than one’s well-being.
North Korea uses “special articles” to indoctrinate the domestic populace on key ideological and political issues.
The party daily reinforced the importance of this September 26 special article by publishing it on the top left-hand corner
- 01From Voice of America to Voice of Trump? The future of U.S. radio in North Korea
- 02Timeline: from rising inter-Korean tensions to a “suspension” of military plans
- 03North Korea in June 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 04Some progress on long-stalled Pyongyang housing blocks under new campaign
- 05Sitting above rank: the rise of Ri Pyong Chol, Pak Jong Chon, and the military
- 06Secret partner: North Korean in Thailand behind network of money-making entities
- 07North Korean think tank statement shows focus on U.S. ‘hostile policy’ prevails
- 08Volte-face: What explains Kim Jong Un’s sudden change of heart?