North Korean party daily calls national defense “number one” priority
A Rodong Sinmun article emphasizing defense capabilities appears to signal yet another shift
The authoritative party daily Rodong Sinmun on September 26 published a “special article [ronsol],” explicitly stating that strengthening defense capabilities is the most important task facing the nation.
This theme was masked under a seemingly prosaic title, “National Affairs Stand Above Household Affairs,” and the predominant theme of giving priority to the greater good rather than one’s well-being.
North Korea uses “special articles” to indoctrinate the domestic populace on key ideological and political issues.
The party daily reinforced the importance of this September 26 special article by publishing it on the top left-hand corner
- 01Expanding Japan-linked mall, online shop in Pyongyang targets “modern tastes”
- 02Why mum? Explaining North Korea’s continued silence on foreign policy
- 03North Korean official claims about child nutrition: what the data shows
- 04North Korea moves to prevent the spread of coronavirus: what we know so far
- 05Timeline: from the “head-on breakthrough battle” policy to the novel coronavirus
- 06North Korea in January 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 07How foreign media is changing the ways North Koreans view the outside world
- 08What to expect at a potential North Korean military parade next month