North Korean media coverage of the October 31 weapons test: some oddities
The country's ruling party daily portrayed the latest missile launch as necessary for economic construction
North Korea’s most authoritative media outlet, the party daily Rodong Sinmun, on November 1 reported on the previous day’s “test-fire of super-large multiple rocket launchers [MRLs],” portraying it as a “successful” event that “verified even the perfection of the continuous firing system.”
This marked North Korea’s third test of these MRLs, after August 24 and September 10.
State media readout of the September 10 test explicitly said a “continuous firing test” was needed, hinting that the North would conduct at least one more test of this weapon.
The November 1 report said the Academy of
- 01Expanding Japan-linked mall, online shop in Pyongyang targets “modern tastes”
- 02Why mum? Explaining North Korea’s continued silence on foreign policy
- 03North Korean official claims about child nutrition: what the data shows
- 04North Korea moves to prevent the spread of coronavirus: what we know so far
- 05Timeline: from the “head-on breakthrough battle” policy to the novel coronavirus
- 06North Korea in January 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 07How foreign media is changing the ways North Koreans view the outside world
- 08What to expect at a potential North Korean military parade next month