North Korean leadership appearances in July: Kim Jong Un dials up the pressure
The DPRK leader stepped-up military visits as Pak Pong Ju returned to regular economic inspections
Editor’s note: as of August, NK Pro will be discontinuing this regular feature. Leadership analysis — as well as other key findings — can instead be found in our regular “Month in Review” product.
Kim Jong Un made eight public appearances in total in July, a significant drop from his 20 public appearances in the previous month and from his 21 appearances in the same period in 2018.
In stark contrast to July 2018, when the vast majority of Kim’s activities were economic, the leader’s appearances in July this year saw a militaristic shift.
- 01North Korea reshuffles its foreign policy top brass: potential implications
- 02North Korean leader’s Toyota luxury bus, multiple Lexus SUVs appear in 2019 film
- 03Kim Jong Un’s claims of a “bumper harvest” in North Korea: what the data shows
- 04In full: Kim Jong Un’s most prominent officials in 2019
- 05Pyongyang Sunan airport upgrades, other changes underway at capital’s airfields
- 06Back to the future: Kim puts North Korea’s economy on a backwards path
- 07“Belt-tightening” ahead? The North Korean economy at the party plenum
- 08North Korea in December 2019: a month in review and what’s ahead