North Korea in August 2023: A month in review and what’s ahead
An analytical look at the main developments from August 1, 2023 to August 31, 2023
Every month, NK Pro conducts an in-depth analytic review of news on the Korean Peninsula. This Month in Review covers the period of Aug. 1, 2023 to Aug. 31, 2023.
In addition to an executive summary providing top-line findings, the following review includes detailed analysis on a wide range of other specialist focus areas.
Furthermore, it also includes a look ahead at the five events likely to create news in August.
Please send any feedback about this feature to [email protected].An indoor swimming pool in Pyongyang, Nov. 2019 | Image: NK Pro EXECUTIVE SUMMARY [p
- 01Why interoperability remains a hurdle for trilateral cooperation on North Korea
- 02North Korea confirms long-time weapons official leading top missile bureau
- 03RECAP: Everything we know about Kim Jong Un’s grand odyssey in Russian Far East
- 04What the North Korean Red Guards’ new toys reveal about military modernization
- 05State media review: North Koreans ‘pine for’ Kim Jong Un as he travels abroad
- 06Bending the rules: How Russia could justify helping North Korea’s space program
- 07At cosmodrome, Kim Jong Un and Putin set stage for greater confrontation with US
- 08North Korea and the other 9/11: How the DPRK remembers Chile’s military coup
- 09How Russian help could enable North Korea’s space program to finally lift off
- 10North Korea demands end to regional inequality, but offers mostly futile fixes