Masikryong ski resort undergoing expansion, images reveal
Site has long been a marquee project for DPRK leadership, though humanitarian concerns persist
North Korea is expanding facilities at the Masikryong Ski resort, one of Kim Jong Un’s marquee tourism-related construction projects, images exclusively obtained by NK Pro show.
The photos, taken in late September, reveal multiple new buildings under construction around 250 meters from the main hotel facility, at the base of what appears to be one of the site’s ski slopes.
The development appears to be relatively recent, with satellite imagery from Planet Labs suggesting that construction began earlier this year.
Extensive foundations for the construction of the tiered buildings first appeared in
- 01The View from Jingshan: In Chinese media, DPRK-U.S. relations get the spotlight
- 02How technology impacts foreign media consumption, and crackdowns, in North Korea
- 03Pro-North Korea website details how the country achieved “bumper crop” in 2019
- 04North Korea reshuffles its foreign policy top brass: potential implications
- 05North Korean leader’s Toyota luxury bus, multiple Lexus SUVs appear in 2019 film
- 06Kim Jong Un’s claims of a “bumper harvest” in North Korea: what the data shows
- 07In full: Kim Jong Un’s most prominent officials in 2019
- 08Pyongyang Sunan airport upgrades, other changes underway at capital’s airfields