Managing risk: what happens in the event of Kim Jong Un’s unexpected death?
In the absence of a clear successor, the North Korean leader's sudden passing could spark instability within the country
While speculation on Kim Jong Un’s whereabouts was mostly quelled after his reappearance at a ribbon-cutting event dated May 1, questions concerning his overall health continue.
And unless the North Korean leader makes major changes to improve his well being in the years ahead, it seems likely that the risk of unexpected surgery or sudden death will increase.
With recent media hysteria giving a taste of what may come should Kim be incapacitated or pass away unexpectedly, there could be major uncertainty in the event his health becomes a serious problem in the future.[/p
- 01Why Kim Jong Un’s letters probably don’t mean a shift in South Korea policy
- 02North Korea’s killing of a South Korean official spells trouble for Moon Jae-in
- 03Hope is not lost: President Biden might actually make progress on North Korea
- 04What North Korea can do right now to stave off a full-blown economic crisis
- 05North Korea upgrades security at Kim Jong Un’s giant Pyongyang mansion complex
- 06At least 14 North Korean ships disguise themselves in international waters
- 07October surprise? What to expect from North Korea ahead of the 2020 US election
- 08How South Korea’s entry into the Indo Pacific initiative will impact North Korea