Kim Yo Jong almost certainly wasn’t promoted, but she may be soon
While likely due to family ties, her position at key event last week also hinted at her current and future roles
Kim Yo Jong made quite the impression last week after appearing close to North Korean leader and brother Kim Jong Un at an event marking the death of their father Kim Jong Il.
Standing just five persons apart from Kim Jong Un could have suggested a significant promotion for Kim Yo Jong. That she stood in the exact slot usually reserved for the director of the ruling party’s international affairs department made this possibility even more plausible.
But when cadres gathered inside the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun to pay their respects to the
- 01From QR codes to the blockchain: Inside North Korea’s digital payment plans
- 02Kim Jong Un reviews old satellite imagery despite North Korea’s new eyes in sky
- 03Eyes above: How a new ROK satellite will help monitor North Korea’s every move
- 04Timeline: From North Korea’s satellite launch to scrapping 2018 military deal
- 05North Korea’s post-reform elections looked a lot like those that came before
- 06State media review: North Korea faults ‘puppets’ for collapse of military deal
- 07In orbit: Everything we know about North Korea’s new spy satellite so far
- 08Why it matters if South Koreans personally know a North Korean defector