Kim Jong Un’s April appearances: stepping-up economic, military activities
The month also saw some major political events and a summit in Vladivostok
Kim Jong Un made 24 public appearances in total in April — a jump from his 13 public activities the previous month and his 18 appearances in April 2018 — largely due to his resumption of on-site economic and military visits, the string of major domestic political events, and his visit to Russia from April 24 to 27.
Key observationsKim Jong Un made his first economic inspections of the year. Kim’s activities between January and March of this year were dominated by diplomacy–the fourth summit with the Chinese president in January, second summit with President Trump in February, and the first
- 01Wollo-ri: nuclear warhead storage area, manufacturing site, or military academy?
- 02Satellite internet in North Korea: past, present, and future
- 03Six months since border closures, fears of COVID-19 mount in North Korea
- 04North Korea’s July Politburo meeting: what was discussed and why it matters
- 05How Moon’s diplomatic and security reshuffle may impact North Korea
- 06From Voice of America to Voice of Trump? The future of U.S. radio in North Korea
- 07Timeline: from rising inter-Korean tensions to a “suspension” of military plans
- 08North Korea in June 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead