Kim Jong Un seen with new Mercedes-Maybach S 600 in recent appearance
Vehicle possibly USD$500,000+ armored “Guard” edition catered to heads of state
Kim Jong Un appears to have obtained a new Mercedes-Maybach luxury sedan, video broadcast last week and analyzed by NK Pro shows, likely representing another breach of United Nations sanctions which prohibit North Korea from importing luxury automobiles.
The vehicle, which stills show to be a new generation Mercedes-Maybach S 600, was seen driving to the Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK) Central Committee building on January 31 and alongside Kim Jong Un at a photo session with an art delegation the same day.
But close-up pictures of the rear-door bodywork showed layering inconsistent with the standard edition
- 01North Korea’s Central Bank: lender, regulator, and inflation fighter
- 02The “silent war”: Kim Jong Un’s battle for North Korean hearts and minds
- 03In review: inter-Korean relations, prospects for change since the Hanoi summit
- 04North Korean criticism of U.S. for joint drills could signal bigger policy shift
- 05The View from Jingshan: anniversary of Sino-DPRK ties passes without a summit
- 06North Korea in October 2019: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 07What to make of North Korea’s third successful MRLS test this year
- 08North Korean media coverage of the October 31 weapons test: some oddities