Imagery reveals scope of Samjiyon reconstruction project’s “third stage”
Most villages in city limits near North Korea's symbolic Mt. Paektu seeing major demolition, reconstruction in 2020
Under “stage three” of North Korea’s major project to reconstruct Samjiyon city and its surrounding area, around eight districts have seen large-scale demolition and reconstruction of homes and public buildings this year, NK Pro analysis of satellite imagery reveals.
Stage two of the “sprucing up” of Samjiyon County was officially completed last December and consisted of rebuilding the main township — now renamed Samjiyon City — with hundreds of new buildings.
State media this week reported on the progress of stage three, which focuses on areas outside the city, saying workers have “completed the frames of
- 01What to expect from Sino-DPRK trade as COVID-19 border measures ease
- 02Timeline: from Kim Jong Un’s reappearance to an exchange of gunfire at the DMZ
- 03North Korea in May 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 04Schrödinger’s sanctions: South Korea plays down the May 24th Measures
- 05Is North Korea privatizing its housing supply? In Rason, partially, yes
- 06At North Korean military meeting, nuclear and personnel issues take precedence
- 07North Korea’s military meets: a renewed focus on nuclear command and control
- 08Fail to prepare, prepare to fail: getting ready for instability in North Korea