Heavy emphasis on military activity in July
Pyongyang conducts high volume of military drills, promotes and demotes more officers
July appears to have been a busy month for Kim Jong Un and his top officials. Kim made more public appearances in July 2014 – 25 total – than in any month since July of last year.
While there were a few prominent political events, the majority (60 percent) of Kim’s public activity in July was military-focused. July also featured changes in the ranks and positions of several elites and the funeral of a very important figure in North Korea’s ballistic missile program, as well as observances of two significant dates in North Korean history.
- 01Timeline: From South Korean nukes to North Korean lockdown
- 02State media review: North Korea orders young ‘volunteers’ to construction sites
- 03Sprawling worker camp appears near North Korea’s military nerve center
- 04Vast new trove of North Korean laws shines light on developments in country
- 05What’s left of the foreign community in Pyongyang, three years into pandemic
- 06Pyongyang streets empty but civilians still training for military parade: Images
- 07Why North Korean state media remains silent about the Pyongyang lockdown
- 08State media review: North Korea celebrates Cold War capture of US ship