Four reasons N. Korea’s rejection of U.S.-ROK aerial exercises was important
“CPRC spokesperson’s press statement” marks a notch up from recent reports and commentaries in Rodong Sinmun
Thursday’s “Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Country [CPRC] spokesperson’s press statement,” which denounced South Korea for its joint aerial exercises with the U.S., is significant for four reasons.
Firstly, it is an official North Korean reaction to South Korea’s military exercises, and it marks the first comment attributed to the CPRC or to a CPRC official in approximately a year. Secondly, it was carried domestically.
Thirdly, the language is notably harsher than what the North has been observed to use since the diplomatic detente began in 2018. Finally, it targets
- 01UN Panel of Experts: Why North Korea investigations don’t lead to new sanctions
- 02North Korea’s broken bridges: Photos show typhoon and flood wreckage nationwide
- 03Why Kim Jong Un’s letters probably don’t mean a shift in South Korea policy
- 04North Korea’s killing of a South Korean official spells trouble for Moon Jae-in
- 05Hope is not lost: President Biden might actually make progress on North Korea
- 06What North Korea can do right now to stave off a full-blown economic crisis
- 07North Korea upgrades security at Kim Jong Un’s giant Pyongyang mansion complex
- 08At least 14 North Korean ships disguise themselves in international waters