Four reasons N. Korea’s rejection of U.S.-ROK aerial exercises was important
“CPRC spokesperson’s press statement” marks a notch up from recent reports and commentaries in Rodong Sinmun
Thursday’s “Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Country [CPRC] spokesperson’s press statement,” which denounced South Korea for its joint aerial exercises with the U.S., is significant for four reasons.
Firstly, it is an official North Korean reaction to South Korea’s military exercises, and it marks the first comment attributed to the CPRC or to a CPRC official in approximately a year. Secondly, it was carried domestically.
Thirdly, the language is notably harsher than what the North has been observed to use since the diplomatic detente began in 2018. Finally, it targets
- 01What to expect from Sino-DPRK trade as COVID-19 border measures ease
- 02Timeline: from Kim Jong Un’s reappearance to an exchange of gunfire at the DMZ
- 03North Korea in May 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 04Schrödinger’s sanctions: South Korea plays down the May 24th Measures
- 05Is North Korea privatizing its housing supply? In Rason, partially, yes
- 06At North Korean military meeting, nuclear and personnel issues take precedence
- 07North Korea’s military meets: a renewed focus on nuclear command and control
- 08Fail to prepare, prepare to fail: getting ready for instability in North Korea