Context and translation: North Korean coverage of the November 28 weapons test
State media hailed the test's "final review" of the new-type multiple rocket launcher system
North Korean state media on November 29 reported on Kim’s “observance” of the “test-fire of super-large multiple rocket launchers [MRLs].” This marks the North’s fourth test-fire of this weapon system, after August 24, September 10, and October 31.
Below is a) a context note on, and b) the full-text translation of, the party daily Rodong Sinmun report. Passages in bold are as they appear in the Rodong Sinmun hardcopy edition.
Context noteImplying MRLs testing in final stages: According to state media, the purpose of the “running [ryonbal] test-fire” was for a “final review of the
- 01Expanding Japan-linked mall, online shop in Pyongyang targets “modern tastes”
- 02Why mum? Explaining North Korea’s continued silence on foreign policy
- 03North Korean official claims about child nutrition: what the data shows
- 04North Korea moves to prevent the spread of coronavirus: what we know so far
- 05Timeline: from the “head-on breakthrough battle” policy to the novel coronavirus
- 06North Korea in January 2020: a month in review and what’s ahead
- 07How foreign media is changing the ways North Koreans view the outside world
- 08What to expect at a potential North Korean military parade next month