Choson Sinbo column reiterates importance of SLBMs, “nuclear deterrent”
An article in an influential pro-DPRK organ hailed the "success" of an October launch, hinted at further tests to come
The website of the Tokyo-based Choson Sinbo on November 27 posted a “Meari” column by “Jong,” entitled, “Another Nuclear Deterrent.” It brings up the “success” of North Korea’s Pukguksong-3 submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) launch in October, and says the country needs to “continually strengthen the nuclear deterrent” to ensure the peace and stability of the Korean peninsula.
Below are a) a context note on, and b) the full-text translation of, this column.
Context noteSignificantly, this column brings up Pukguksong-3 nearly two months after the SLBM launch, and “nuclear deterrent,” a term that North
- 01The 2020 National Defense Authorization Act: what it means for North Korea
- 02The view from Jingshan: China reacts to North Korea’s renewed testing
- 03Context and translation: party daily recollects Kim Jong Un’s 2019 achievements
- 04What to make of North Korea’s “very important” test at Sohae
- 05How North Korea is making the most of its aging air force
- 06Timeline: from tensions over drills to a mystery “Christmas gift”
- 07North Korea’s unusual Party plenum in late December: what to expect
- 08North Korea in November 2019: a month in review and what’s ahead