Sinuiju now open to vists from Western tourists

Day trips will be possible, but overnight stays remain off-limits: source
May 14th, 2013
0

SEOUL – Western visitors will soon be allowed to enter the Sino-North Korean border town of Sinuiju on short one day trips, a Beijing-based tour company said.

The route was previously only open to Chinese tourists, who often have more access to areas of North Korea not yet open to Western visitors.

“Chinese tourists have always been able to open up different areas first in the past- they bring large numbers, don’t ask questions and don’t publicize their trips, so are seen as low risk,” Troy Collings of Young Pioneer Tours told NK News.

“After the recent Chinese travel ban on Chinese tourists entering the DPRK I think they are seeing the value of expanding their markets.”

Chinese tourists are still able to go directly overland from China to Chogjin and Hoeryong whilst Western tourists, Collings says, can only enter via Namyang, a small town on the Tumen river.

Permits to enter Sinuiju on a day trip can be processed in as little as four days, North Korean officials told Young Pioneer Tours.

The small town of Namyang, bordering the Tumen river that divides North Korea and China. (Picture: Wikimedia Commons).

The small town of Namyang, bordering the Tumen river that divides North Korea and China. (Picture: Wikimedia Commons).

SINUIJU MARKETS AND MARKETIZATION

Sinuiju City, which sits across the Yalu river from the Chinese town of Dandong, is at the centre of a North Korean Special Economic Zone (SEZ), and is home to a large proportion of Sino-North Korean trade.

The city is home to some of North Korea’s more tolerated and state-sanctioned markets, although these will remain off-limits to visitors.

“Markets are definitely not on the table at this point,” Collings said. “Rason is still the only open market to tourists in the country.”

Tours will be run by North Korea-based Sinuiju Travel company, and arranged via the China International Travel Service (CITS).

The deal was announced today, and is not exclusive to Young Pioneer Tours, Collings said. Other tour agencies have yet to announce plans to offer tours to Sinuiju.

(Headline picture: NK News)

Recommended for You

10 N. Korean crewmen possibly repatriated from Mexico - local media

10 N. Korean crewmen possibly repatriated from Mexico - local media

Ten North Korean crew members left the Mu Du Bong over the weekend and have yet to return, prompting speculation in Mexican media that they have been repatriated. The DRPK vessel is currently stran…

July 7th, 2015
0
Orchestra, ministry send conflicting signals on inter-Korean concert

Orchestra, ministry send conflicting signals on inter-Korean concert

The Lindenbaum Orchestra said that it received permission for a concert at the Joint Security Area (JSA) on the evening of August 15, the 70th anniversary of Korea’s liberation from Japanese coloniz…

July 7th, 2015
0

About the Author

James Pearson

James Pearson (@pearswick) was the NK News Seoul Correspondent.